
Okay so I don't usually blog this early in the day but I just have to. I need to vent. On Tuesday and Thursday I have a Introduction to Women's Studies class. I'm taking this class because it was one of the choices of electives. I thought it would be interesting. Tuesday we were given the assignment to bring in something from the media ( video clip, song lyrics, newspaper clipping, picture) that we thought was portraying Feminism. So I was not totally sure what feminism was, I had ideas but I wasn't totally sure of the definition. So last night I was thinking about something I could get to show. I picked up my Women's Health magazine and on the front it said STRONG and INCHARGE and had a picture of a tone women in like workout clothes. I took this to class and I was like I will just listen to what other people will say and then I will kind of decide what I want to say. So I get in class and she was like we are going to start from the bottom of the roll. Of course I was not prepared for this because usually I'm always last not first. So I'm like great, I have no idea what I'm going to say about this and I have to get up in front of all these people and try to convince them I do know what I'm talking about. Well I got up there and just really rambled off different stuff which then opened the floor for everyone else to chime in. Getting up there wasn't bad I just wish I wouldn't have went first.

So I say all of this because I kind of got upset in the class. Given this class is a class where we are all free and encouraged to speak what we think. The teacher really encourages that we voice our opinions and be open to what other people say. I think that's a great way to learn is by listening to other peoples opinions and what they think. So of course different people got up and gave there little proposition about why there media object was supporting feminism. Well the idea of a working woman kept getting thrown around. Alot of the people were saying pretty much that " to be a woman of value or of independence you have to be a businesswoman and want to be climbing the corporate ladder". I totally disagree! I think the value of a woman is not determined by whether or not a woman has a great paying job and is out in the work force. They were much implying, not all but alot of the class, that you can't be your own person or respected as much if you were a stay at home mom. They were saying that women should have equal this and equal that. What ever happen to the roles of women and men? It's like it was almost a bad thing to want to be a stay at home mom.

I think being a stay at home wife and mother is one of the greatest jobs in the world. The black cloud that covers these women that are stay at home moms is just disappointing. I'm not saying that every person should and has to be a stay at home wife or mother. Some women can't and some just don't want to. But for the ones that feel that it's important to stay at home and rear their children that should not be a bad thing or a dark light should not be cast upon them. It's a job just like the business woman's job. My point to all of this is that you can be a stay at home mom and have value. One of my hero's, my mom was/ is both. She was a wonderful stay at home mom and now she is a successful business woman. She is a woman of value not just for being both but she was one when she only stayed home and took care of my father and us kids.
I like what Paul writes in Titus. Titus 2: 4-5 " Then they can teach the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be wise and pure, to be good workers at home, to be kind, and to yield to their husbands. Then no one will be able to criticize the teaching God gave us."
No comments:
Post a Comment