---Watch the video clip first before reading the rest of the post---
So now that you have watched the video and you think back to the different Disney movies that have been made and their story lines. Does everyone of them not portray an unrealistic counter type of love? As many of you know I'm taking a Marriage and Family class this semester. Last night I had to write a paper for the class. We had to read two inserts one about love portrayed in Disney movies and the other about love in real life. We had to respond to the two reads with our opinion and thoughts about them. So since I have wrote the paper I have been really thinking about love. This semester I have a couple of different classes that really challenge me to think beyond the surface of things. I was listening to the song Amazing Love this morning when I was getting ready and the wheels in my head started turning. So I thought I would share with y'all my thoughts about this.
Here is a little bit about the second reading. Mike Harden wrote " In the end, love is not the smoldering glance across the dance floor, the clink of crystal, a leisurely picnic spread upon summer's clover. It is the squeeze of a hand. I'm here. I'll be here, no matter how long the fight, even when what you want most is to close your eyes and be done with it all. Water? You need water? Here. Drink. Let me straighten your pillow". This passage was about a couple and the man was on his death bed dying and his wife was there with him the whole time. The title of this passage was: In the end, Real love means in sickness and in health. " When all is said and done, love is not rapture and fire. It is a hand steadier than one's own squeezing harder than a heartbeat. Wine changes back to water. Roses no longer come with love messages, but best wishes for a quick recovery. Endearment is exhibited by what once might have been considered insignificant kindnesses, but which, in the end, become the tenderest of ministrations".
After comparing these two very different depictions of love where does that leave you and how do you say whether one is better or worse than the other. I think that the second one is truly an example of true love. Yes, I do think that the Disney movies touch a little on love but overall they are very skewed. I mean love at first sight really? John Smith and Pocahontas didn't even speak the same lauauge how are they suddenly in love? I know this is just entertainment, but how influential is it to society. Could this be why so many marriages are failing these days due to a deceived view on love. Love is more than a pretty face or strong physical attraction to someone.
The definition of love- a very strong feeling; a great interest and pleasure in something. Love- wanting good to come to another person, being concerned and willing to work for another person's benefit. Do I know what (intimate)love is? Honestly No. I thought at one time I was IN love but now I know I definitely wasn't IN love I just loved. I think my parents have nailed it. As a on looker looking into my parents marriage and relationship, I can honestly say they love each other. They have found true love with each other...how encouraging. I have come to learn that there are other types of love than just the intimate love. I love my parents. I love my best friends..Whitley, Janna, Monica, and Ashley. I love my brothers. I love Olivia & Eliza. I love my church. I LOVE God. I love reading. I love the water. I love chocolate. I love laughing. I love being outside. I love pictures. I love Auburn. I love lots of things...but everyone of these things I love in different ways. Love comes in many sizes and shapes. So love doesn't have to be just like the Disney movies or your love for a dying spouse. It can be for very trivial things or very personal and sacred things. Love is beautiful and hard. It is work and pleasure.
When I was thinking about this I went to the word and in 1 John 4:7-10 " Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love. This is how God showed his love among us; He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loves us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins." Wow now that is love! God sent his only Son for a filthy wretched sinner like me. My love for any person, thing or place will never be able to compare or measure up with the perfect love God has for his people.
So what is love to you?? This post is very long and scattered. Hopefully my thoughts were understandable. Sorry!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment