Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Soli Deo Gloria

Today has been a very stimulating day. Good but just packed full with information. This morning for Dr. Tacketts class we had two guest speakers from Focus. One talked about stem cell research and the other about homosexuality. I'm sure many are aware of the news this week with Obama reversing Bush's restrictions on stem cell research. Stem cell research is not beneficial nor necessary. Mr. Haley talked about the basic perspective of homosexuals today. He made us aware of all the false information we are receiving from the gay community that so many are unaware of. He also showed some very disturbing videos of how people are trying to equalize homosexuality with heterosexuality in the school system to students as young as first grade. I was appalled at what kids are being exposed to and being taught as 'truth' which is so far away from the truth.

I guess I say all of this because as Christians (myself included) and the Church. What are we doing to speak out and reach out to the hurting whether it is a mother who just had a abortion or a homosexual? We are quick to judge but how quick are we to love and love as Christ did? Tolerance is so normal now. This is not something that should be accepted in the Christian community. We should stand up for what is RIGHT in a whimsical way and show love and compassion to those hurting. I feel we need to be more proactive in what we are teaching and saying to children at home. As parents there is a calling to protect your kids. That means standing up to school boards and letting them know you want go for false teaching to be taught to your child. I'm not a parent yet but I feel this is such a high calling that is being replaced with daycares and busyness that we forget to observe and sensor what our children are being taught. I guess I'm just saying we can't look down on our kids or others if we are not willing to stand up and doing something about it. I feel such a need for the Christian community to be aware of the issues of abortion, homosexuality, pornography, stem cell research, as well as many other topics that we don't like to talk about in our churches. Who better than us Christians to help those people and show them there is HOPE. We can't wait for other people to do it. I feel it is my responsibility just as yours to be PROACTIVE.

On a lighter note; us students sat in on a broadcast today with Dr. Juli Slattery, Dr. Bill Myer, and their two guest authors Dr. Conway and Jada Edwards. The topic of the broadcast was dating/courtship. It was very interesting to listen to all the different perspectives. They talked a lot about the season of singleness. I was able to ask a question during the broadcast ( so listen for me on the radio in June) about the issue of a woman prompting vs. leading conversation with the male she is dating or engaged to. Their answers were great. I really enjoyed the broadcast it gave me confirmations, questions, and great information about dating.

After the broadcast I had practicum. Every Wednesday we have a group meeting for about two hours with everyone in the counseling practicum. In Wednesday's meeting we typically learn about different situations that you will come across in the counseling room. We have talked about domestic violence, eating disorders, had trauma debriefing, family of origin, and today reactive attachment disorder. I didn't really know much about RAD. RAD is a very interesting and traumatic disorder for many.

As you can tell I have had an abundance of information thrown at me today. Do you ever feel like on my goodness I just want to know so much more about a particular subject? That is the way I feel about every subject that I learned about today. Just tell me more ;)

No comments: