
Last night I went to Woodmen Valley Chapel to sit in and observe their premarital counseling class for my practicum at Focus. I actually believe that Woodmen is where I'm going to worship, while I'm here in the Springs. I went last Sunday and it was great, so I went this Sunday and it was amazing as well. So I think I have found a church home for the short three months I am going to be here. Anyways so back to the Marriage counseling. I went with a couple of girls from the counseling department. We got there and sat at a table with a mentor couple, which lead the table, and with actual engaged couples. The topic of the night was COMMUNICATION. How appropriate RIGHT??? since I'm the worlds worst communicator. Now let me clarify that I'm not talking about Steven and my communication skills. I'm talking about my everyday relationships and in general when it comes to communication...I STINK AT IT. If you know me that's true. BUT...guess what that's something I'm working on and I'm definitely going to come back refined in that area. So let me just tell you about a couple of the things that I learned or took in last night. All this might not apply directly to me right now but it will one day. So I mise well start learning now. :)))
~ Communication is the source and root of the relationship developing.
~ What makes up a message? Content-Tone-Nonverbal
~ 5 Communication killers
1. Starting out with assuming.= Women do a very good job at this.
2. Passive/ Aggressive Manipulation.
3. Nagging & Harassing. Just be direct. Don't try to be their mother.
4. SARCASM. - I'm not going to say anymore. This can KILL a relationship.
5. Blaming & Overgeneralizing. { Avoid using always & never-also try using I statements...I feel}
~ I haven't read the book above. I have heard it's good and I'm definitely going to try to read it after Focus (due to not having time to read it here). So when trying to explain the reason men answer the infamous question " What are you thinking about?" they answer " Nothing", they referred to this book. Now that has always been an answer I didn't like. I always thought they were lying because as women we don't understand how they can't be thinking about anything. So they explained that the book compared men to waffles. Waffles have those defiant boxes/sections that don't connect directly. Well they said that men have boxes that don't have thoughts or words in them. Strange I know and maybe once I read the book it will make more sense. But I was glad to know they weren't lying when they say that they really are thinking about nothing :)
No comments:
Post a Comment